Post Title Children and Young People’s Health Worker
Location Zest and citywide
Rate of Pay £19,500 (pro rata)
Term of Contract to September 2022
Hours 0.8FTE (29.6 hours)
Holidays 25 days + 8 statutory days pa pro rata
Responsible to: Line Manager
Purpose of Job
To work in both primary and secondary schools with young people as part of the smokefree schools programme which uses physical activity and health education to deliver smokefree messages. To deliver assemblies/presentations and workshops/lessons for young people in schools and youth club settings on healthy lifestyles and specifically being smokefree. To deliver smoking cessation advice to any child/young person 18 and under in Sheffield in both 1-1 and group settings.
- To support the delivery of the Smokefree Schools Project in primary, secondary and youth settings across Sheffield. This will involve
- Recruitment and training of ambassadors, delivering assemblies, lessons, and workshops in secondary school settings
- Delivering a sports-based awareness programme with children in primary schools
- Liaison with teaching staff, parents and the young people to ensure the successful delivery of a whole school Smokefree programme.
- To support the delivery of the children and young people’s smoking cessation service by means of a 4-week quit programme in both 1-1 and group settings.
- To maintain an understanding of the dangers of smoking and benefits of being smoke free in children and young people.
- To establish and maintain good working relationships with the local community, schools, local groups and organisations to maximise the participation of children, young people and families.
- Ensure that safety and injury prevention policies and procedures are adhered to by participants; report accidents and prepare accident reports, as required.
- To work in partnership with partner organisations and groups, including local schools, Sheffield City Council and local organisations.
- To monitor and evaluate activities ensuring effective data collection and to provide reports as required.
- To assist with the marketing and promotion of services including updating the website and social media.
- To undertake training and other developmental activity in line with organisational and personal development needs.
- To work flexibly within the wider health team to support the delivery of health interventions to children and their families – this may include weight management and health related training.
- To carry out all duties and responsibilities as described in line with company policies and procedures, particularly those relating to Equal Opportunities and Health and Safety.
- Any other duties as agreed with the line manager.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
Experience of work with children, young people and families in a community and/or school setting
Experience of delivering group and one to one health education sessions to children and young people
Knowledge and understanding of safeguarding
Experience of using creative techniques to engage and promote the participation of young people
Knowledge and understanding of health issues specifically the challenges involved in minimising the uptake of smoking in younger people and supporting young people to quit smoking
Good IT skills
Experience of data collection
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills – both written, verbal and face to face
Ability to contact, engage, inspire and motivate children, young people and families
Excellent organisational skills
Ability to work on own initiative
Ability to work in a team
Circumstances, Commitment and personal qualities
Willingness to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends
Personally committed to adopting a healthy lifestyle in personal life e.g. non-smoker or ex-smoker for last 6 months
Ability to travel around the city and car ownership
To support the aims of Zest
Commitment to equality of opportunity
To maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
Experience of organising and delivering play-based sports/physical activity sessions
Experience of working in disadvantaged communities
Experience in a similar role
Youth work or youth sports coaching or other relevant qualification in work with young people
A relevant qualification in training, health related subjects
Closing date: Friday 4th June 2021 at 17:00
Interviews will take place via Zoom on Thursday 17th June 2021, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ZEST is working towards best-practice in equality of opportunity.